I Can't Help It : WUZ: Re: [CH] The other side of the GM

Inagaddadavida (raelsixty4@earthlink.net)
Sat, 02 Sep 2000 16:45:23 -0600

At 08:02 AM 9/2/00 -0700, Rich McCormack wrote:
>=====> Health panel affirms the many benefits of modern food
>biotechnology
>   "Physicians and scientists affiliated with the American Council on
>   Science and Health assert that modern biotechnology, as applied
>   to a variety of crops and foods, presents no inherent risks to
>   consumers or the environment." (8/28/00)

this page is full of half-truths as well as blatent misinformation...use
common sense, people

1> why not inlude such information (if ingredients are/may be of
genetically manipulated origin) on food labels? public choice is vital to a
free economy regardless if the public is "misinformed" or not, no? simple:
corporate fear that their billions of research dollars will be for waste
because they put their money on the wrong horse...

2> if GMOs are so safe, will these corporate entities take full
responsibility for any negative impact of their creations? and by full
responsibility, i mean fix the problems too...addmission of screwing up
won't get it...Monsanto regularly says "oops" and goes about their merry
way...i want blood if someone screws up the environment, i want their
money, their cars, their real estate, their balls...

3> why should the public have faith/trust in biotechnology when such
technology has the *potential* to wreak havoc on ecosystems worldwide, and
in a worst case scenerio, completely mutate "nature" as it is known; and
have faith/trust the biotech megacorporations which have long track records
of being greedy and irresponsible in their behavior/management/dealings?
please...

4> are the "benefits" really worth the risks?  regardless of how "safe and
tested" this technology is, can anyone (in the business...or not, for that
matter) completely guarantee that no negative impact will result in the
future? that genetic drift will not occur, for example? that certain
species of insect or such will not suffer and/or disappear due to these
genetic mutations? no...

yet, i *can* guarantee such will not happen IF: GMOs are banned and limited
to closed, controlled testing facilities for 20-some odd years until
definitive results of long-term testing can be studied and it is found that
GMO seeds, for example, are safe, will not cross with other species, and so
on...

it only makes sense...genetics is the pandora's box that when opened, there
is no closing it, no fixing it, no where to run...overdramatic? open your
eyes, look far into the future, and don't be so damned selfish...it's
obvious what the dangers are

NOTE: The U.S. Government is poised to grant the world's first commercial
permit for genetically engineered fish.  This new technology could
devastate wild salmon populations.

What is the motivation for such creations? Money, plain and simple.  Utter
disregard for the species, for the environment, for humanity.

goddamn criminal...

enough of this crap..

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......

Rael64