[CH] About fresh sausage and casings (bratwurst recipe included)

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 08:00:45 -0700

Steve M Duddy wrote:

> Sure!  I think any sausage recipe that deosn't need to be dried, aged or
> smoked can be made without the casings.

Not necessarily.  Bratwurst is an example of a fresh sausage
that needs to be stuffed into casings 'cause it's usually grilled
or pan fried.  Generally, if fresh sausage is gonna be formed into
patties and pan fried or crumbled and sauteed, there's no advantage
to stuffing it into casings.  For the grill or pan frying whole,
it needs to be stuffed into casings.  Grilled bratwurst, BTW, is
a Labor Day tradition at our house.

FWIW, here's my Labor Day 2000 bratwurst recipe...

   1 and 1/2 lb - pork (fat included), cubed
   1 lb - boneless chicken thigh, cubed
   1/4 tsp - ground allspice
   1/2 tsp - crushed caraway seeds
   1/2 tsp - dried marjoram
   1 tsp - ground white pepper
   1 and 1/2 tsp - salt
   hog casings as needed

Grind the pork and chicken through the coarse blade.  Mix the ground
meats and grind again through the fine blade.  Add the remaining
ingredients to the meat mixture and mix thoroughly.  Stuff the mixture
into prepared casings and twist off into 4 to 5 inch lengths.  Grill
over charcoal and serve on rolls with spicy-hot mustard.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/