[CH] cap and blisters

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 12:33:15 GMT

>From: danceswithcarp <dcombs@bloomington.in.us>

>I'm not talking about just giving a burning or a numbing sensation; the
>article specifically said cap can raise a blister.  I've never had one
>anywhere from chiles and I've downed just about every super-hot on the
>market, including Red Savinas grown from Jim Campbell The Oneth's
>stock.

A few years ago I went through a serious craving for the dried red chile
flakes in oil as you can find in most Chinese places.  I started using it
very heavily, with the predictable digestive results.  But I also noticed
that I was getting welts of raised skin on my face, as if someone had
painted lines of poison ivy up and down my cheeks.  I have no explanation
for it other than I'm pretty sure those days saw the highest concentrations
of capsaicin I've ever had in my body.

Was it on this list, maybe three years ago, that someone mentioned some link
between capsaicin consumption and deterioration of facial skin?

Made the season's first batch of salsa last night, now my skin still smells
like herbs.

- A