Re: [CH] Chorizo

Curtiss-OX-5 (Curtiss-OX-5@email.msn.com)
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:26:10 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich McCormack" <macknet@pacbell.net>
To: <chile-heads-digest@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2000 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] Chorizo

Curtiss-OX-5  did not write this::

> > <first step is to remove the chorizo from
> > > casings then fry until rendered, hence presumably no advantage
whatsoever
> > > of stuffing into casings versus leaving as bulk sausage.>

Curtiss-X-5 wrote this:

(...I'm no expert at sausage making, but as I understand from what I've read
the casing ... preferrably natural aids in the maturation by allowing the
mixture to "breathe" and lose moisture.  Something next to imposible to do
in bulk.  Of course this only applies to an aged product...)

Rich McCormack wrote:

>Mexican chorizo is a fresh
> sausage and usually contains no preservatives, it should be kept
> refrigerated and consumed within a few days or frozen.  It can
> be stuffed into casings or made as bulk sausage...no benefit
> either way that I can think of other than preference or convenience.

Bayless .. in "Authentic Mexican Regional..." on p.p. 55 speaks to drying
and aging Chorizoas does Kennedy in "The Art of Mexican Cooking" on p.p.
264.

Barry