Re: [CH] vegetarian sausage recipes?

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:24:02 -0500

rain@wwbbs.otherside.com wrote:

> Anybody got any good vegetarian sausage recipes (other than _hoy jaw_,
> which I've already got) with some serious heat?

Here are a couple - one from the Chileheads Archives. You can kick them
up as high as you'd like. I have not tried these recipes, being a
devoted carnivore. But, reading them over they look eminently do-able.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: VEGETARIAN CHORIZO
 Categories: Chileheads, Sausages, Chiles, Vegan
      Yield: 4 Servings

     2 c  TVP (dried, not
          -reconstituted) *
     6    Dried anchos or New Mexico
          -chiles or some combination
          -of the two
     2    Dried chipotles, (opt) if
          -you want smokey flavor
   1/2 ts Coriander seeds
     3    Whole cloves
   1/2 ts Pepercorns
   1/2 ts Oregano
   1/4 ts Cumin seeds
       sm Piece cinnamon, about 1/3"
          -X 3/4"
     8 cl Garlic, peeled and crushed
     2 ts Paprika
     2 ts Salt
   1/4 c  Vinegar
   1/2 c  Red wine
   3/4 c  Water or stock
   1/4 c  Oil or more

  * TVP = Textured Vegetable Protein, check your local health
  food stores.

  Toast chiles in wok/cast iron skillet until they start to
  smell roasted. Make sure you don't burn them. Open them
  and discard seeds and membrane. Cool.

  Toast the whole seeds and cinammon on low in wok/skillet
  till you smell the roasted smell and cumin is a few shades
  darker. Do not burn them. Cool down.

  Put everything except TVP and liquids into a spice mill and
  grind. You will probably have to do it in batches. (You
  may use a blender also, but then add the liquid before
  blending.)

  Put TVP in a container. Add spice mixture and liquid and
  pressed garlic. Stir. (If TVP isn't fully reconstituted
  after 20 minutes--use your intuition--add some stock, stir,
  wait another 10 min, and check again.) Add oil.

  Stir. Cover well, and stick in your fridge for about 2
  days. Really do this. The flavors need to blend. You
  might want to stir it once or twice a day.

  For one serving suggestion, mix with boiled, cubed
  potatoes.

  Variations: Please experiment with the proportions of the
  spices. Adjust the wine/vinegar/water ratios if you'd like,
  but keep the liquid total at 1 1/2 cups. Also, using
  crumbled tempeh or ground seitan instead of tvp would also
  be intresting.

  Comments welcome. Jonathan Kandell, Tucson

  From the Chile-Heads Recipe Collection

  UDD NOTE: You can kick this up to notches unknown (to
:           quote Emeril) with ground serrano or cayenne.

  MM Format by Dave Drum - 12 September 2000

  FROM: Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: VEGETABLE SAUSAGE (HOT)
 Categories: Veggies, Sausages, Adapted
      Yield: 8 servings

      3 c  Mixed vegetables
           - such as artichoke hearts,
           - asparagus, mushrooms,
           - broccoli or cauliflower
      1 c  Cooked spinach; chopped
      2 tb Olive oil
      2 md Onions; roughly diced
    1/2 c  Bread crumbs
    3/4 c  Egg whites
    1/2 ts Ground coriander
      1 ts Minced garlic
    1/2 ts Salt; or as desired
    1/2 ts Ground white pepper
           Cayenne to taste
      1 ts Fresh rosemary leaves -OR-
    1/2 ts -Dried rosemary leaves
      4    Feet sausage casing

  ROUGHLY CHOP VEGETABLES into 1/4-inch pieces and set aside
  on a plate. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat,
  add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Decrease
  heat to low, add the vegetables and cook for 10 minutes.
  Remove vegetables from heat and scrape the mixture into a
  food processor. Add the egg whites and bread crumbs and puree
  until smooth. Stuff the mixture into sausage casings or form
  2 long sausages in plastic wrap. Poach the sausages in gently
  simmering water for 7 minutes, drain and let cool. If you
  have used plastic wrap to form the sausages, remove it when
  sausages are cool. Cut sausages into 6-inch lengths. To
  serve, grill the sausages or place under a preheated broiler.
  Since the sausages are already cooked, we want only to reheat
  them and crisp their skins.

  MICHAEL ROBERTS

  FROM: Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider