R: [CH] again confused

Michele Mastandrea (diavolillo@katamail.com)
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:04:34 +0200

Miss  Dewi wrote:

>Again I get so confused about all the different advices! My mother-in-law
>studied plants for her job at a garden centre and she was also taught that
>you cannot eat Capsicum Annuum. All the garden centres over here also say
>that the plants they do sell (caps. ann.) are not to be eaten. .....

I can reply that only some ornamental plants, that belong to the Solanaceae,
are non-edible : they bear red round fruits that resemble the cherry pod of
some varieties of chiles.
Their names are Solanum Capsicastrum and Solanum Pseudocapsicum and they are
really poison !
In Italy many of these over winter and becomes a suffrutex with woody stems.

Michele Mastandrea
Puglia
Italia