RE: [CH] Pepper oil

Goslowsky, George (gjgoslow@intergraph.com)
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:32:02 -0500

I went to the site and read what was there about the improperly handled
potatoes, but I still don't understand.  If you can safely destroy the
bacteria by applying 212+F for 10 minutes, then why is there danger from my
baked potato heated at 500F for an hour?

George J. Goslowsky
Senior Software Analyst
Intergraph Corp.

I am made from the dust of stars and the oceans flow in my veins

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary & Riley [mailto:uGuys@ChileGarden.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 1:35 PM
To: chilehead
Subject: RE: [CH] Pepper oil

> Danger DANGER Danger DANGER - Potential bacterial HAZARD!!!
>
> never ever put fresh wet peppers under oil!!!!
> only dried peppers should go into oil, and even then they and the oil
> should be raised to 212/220F - 100/105C and held there for several
> minutes.

Pods,

Just some perspective on botulism.  Chiles, garlic, etc in oil should be
refrigerated according to the first reference below (from the Centers for
Disease Control). No other processing is mentioned although there are
references to canning techniques.

Potatoes cooked in foil and allowed to cool are a source I found
interesting.  Of the average 110 cases of botulism/yr, 25% are food borne so
that's about 28 cases/yr.  If 8% are fatal, that's 2.24 deaths/yr (2 and
half a halfwit).

Ciao,

Riley

PS  Sorry if this thread ended weeks ago--my home firewall is censoring my
outgoing mail.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/botulism_g.htm

How common is botulism?

In the United States an average of 110 cases of botulism are reported each
year. Of these, approximately 25% are foodborne, 72% are infant botulism,
and the rest are wound botulism. Outbreaks of foodborne botulism involving
two or more persons occur most years and usually caused by eating
contaminated home-canned foods. The number of cases of foodborne and infant
botulism has changed little in recent years, but wound botulism has
increased because of the use of black-tar heroin, especially in California.

Prevention [excerpt]

Botulism can be prevented. Foodborne botulism has often been from
home-canned foods with low acid content, such as asparagus, green beans,
beets and corn. However, outbreaks of botulism from more unusual sources
such as chopped garlic in oil, chile peppers, tomatoes, improperly handled
baked potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil, and home-canned or fermented fish.
Persons who do home canning should follow strict hygienic procedures to
reduce contamination of foods. Oils infused with garlic or herbs should be
refrigerated. Potatoes which have been baked while wrapped in aluminum foil
should be kept hot until served or refrigerated. Because the botulism toxin
is destroyed by high temperatures, persons who eat home-canned foods should
consider boiling the food for 10 minutes before eating it to ensure safety.
Instructions on

http://wonder.cdc.gov/mortJ.shtml

Mortality rates for botulism (ICD 005.1) since 1990 in the US per Center for
Disease Control.

Death Count, All Ages, All Races, Both Genders,,
1990-1997, By YEAR, The United States,,
ICD 005.1 to 005.1
Rates for Infants are per 100,000 live births

Abstract
Death Count, All Ages, All Races, Both Genders,
1990-1997, By YEAR, The United States,
ICD 005.1 to 005.1
Rates shown for Infants are per 100,000 live births

Year	Death Count	 Population		Death Rate
1990  4 (VALID)	248922111 (VALID)	0.00 (UNRELIABLE)
1991  2 (VALID)	252276294 (VALID)	0.00 (UNRELIABLE)
1992  1 (VALID)	255142528 (VALID)	0.00 (UNRELIABLE)
1993  0 (VALID)	257866383 (VALID)	0.00 (UNRELIABLE)
1994  0 (VALID)	260423572 (VALID)	0.00 (UNRELIABLE)
1995	2 (VALID)	262806753 (VALID)	0.00 (UNRELIABLE)
1996	1 (VALID)	265405792 (VALID)	0.00 (UNRELIABLE)
1997	2 (VALID)	267720362 (VALID)	0.00 (UNRELIABLE)

Information About this Report
This file is a CDC WONDER/PC Data File from the dataset "Compressed
Mortality".
Your comment about this query: "Compressed Mortality".
This report was generated on 9/26/00  12:30.