Re: [Fwd: [CH] chiles in Chile? Help!!!]

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:12:01 -0400

Hi CH's,

>Hi Cameron...seem to recall you being in Chile a couple of years ago and
>saying that the hot & spicy were not to be had.....correct? Perhaps you
>could tell Mary-Anne, another Mac
>user what to look for there.....How are you?  Cheers, Doug in BC

I'm fine thanks Doug, but I'm afraid Mary-Anne may be in for a bit of
a disappointment. Chile is not the land of chiles.

Mary-Anne wrote:

>Sooooo we head out Sunday, AM, Chiles as in Chile - Santiago, Chile.  We will
>be in the seaside near Valparaiso and Vina del mar and Santiago for two
>weeks.  So now I plead & BEG for HOT spots!!!  Yes I will look for Chile
>seeds, not sure of what they grow there!

You will sometimes find Ajis (pronounced ah-hee) in the local markets
but at this time of year they probably haven't planted them yet! The
supermarkets are generally worse for hot items than their US
counterparts. However you will be able to find limited bottled and
canned items. A lot of market gardening is done in Temuco, South of
where you are going. They have a big farmer's market in the center of
town in the Summer, but I have no experience of this time of year.
There used to be someone on this list who came from there. Hello!!
Temuco is in the "Lake District". Spectacular waterfalls, active
volcanos and beautiful lakes amid forested mountains. The overnight
train from Santiago to Temuco is a blast. Lan Chile is a great
airline. Chile is a staggering country. Write to me today off list if
you want specifics.

--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.