RE: [CH] Snuffin' the flames

Scott Thurston (sathurston@mindspring.com)
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:17:14 -0600

Ah, not so fast, my good namesake.

A person could conceivably get into a boatload of trouble, if it could be
shown that the "thief" suffered and the "baiter" had good reason to suspect
the thief would take the bait.

One of my former Air Force compatriots related a similar tale.  In one unit
where he was stationed, there was a junior Airman who would abscond with
others' snack food and consume it.  My compadre got tired of buying snacks
and sodas, only to set them down and have them disappear.

One day, he purchased a bag of chocolate chip cookies, emptied it, and
re-filled it with some home-baked cookies made with chocolate Ex-Lax instead
of the usual Nestle product.  He took it into work, and set it down on his
desk while munching one of the real cookies.  He got up to get coffee, and
when he returned the bag was gone.

A bit later, the poor junior enlisted guy left work with a very pained
expression.  Later that afternoon, my cohort's commander called him into the
office, and told him the airman was in the hospital in very dire straits.
As my friend related it, the commander said (pardon the language) "Every
time he blinks he shits."

Although my friend's commander could see the poetic justice in the act, he
still had to deliver administrative non-judicial punishment.

(I *do* love telling this story, though =8^)
Scott "not KCK" Thurston