Re: [CH] Thai in Springfield

Mark McHugh (mt_mchugh@internet-stat.net)
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:28:13 -0500

Joan Sullivan RPh wrote:

> Uncle Dave,
>
> Thank you for the info.  I'm headed to Springpatch for Thanksgiving with the
> in-laws, & it's always nice to break up the monotony of brown food with no
> heat, & usually no flavor.
>
> We're also going to spend a teeny bit of time in St.Louis.  One lunch is
> already planned at Chaney's...BBQ & fried chicken, & a late evening at the
> Broadway Blues Bar, but we're looking for ideas for a dinner.  I'd been
> thinking about trying someplace new in the area by the public market.  Can't
> think of the name of the area.  Known for music too.  Neighborhood that
> starts with an "S."  Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Joan

The "S" word neighborhood is Soulard, pronounced SUE-lard, in case
you're not hip to the French.  But then again, St.Louisans also say
GRA-voy or GRA-voyz (nice, flat Midwestern "a" there) for Gravois. ;)

Soulard is good for the blues and the Farmers Market(7th and
Lafayette, WED-SAT) is famous, though it's been going through hard
times lately.  Don't park in the wrong place around there or your ride
will disappear to some pricey impound lot.  http://www.soulard.com/

As for dinner, if you're in the mood for hot/spicy in the southern
part of town, there's the King and I at 3157 South Grand.  Across the
street is Jay International Food.  Nice selection of hot sauces,
noodle packs, oils, canned good, etc. from around the world.  It's
small, but nice.  The big Global Market is in the northwest.  I'm
going there tomorrow, as a matter of fact!  BB's (700 S. Broadway) is
great. http://www.bbsjazzbluessoups.com/ Creole, beignets, up all
night.  Lagniappe's (9th and Victor) is mellow.
http://www.soulardlagniappe.com/

--
´´
Mark McHugh