Re: [CH] Smoked Jals -- another question.

GarryMass@aol.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:33:27 EST

In a message dated 10/28/00 10:23:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
adair@digisys.net writes:

 > Can I use briquettes with a little smoking wood on top?
 > Can I cut the chiles in half lengthwise to speed the process?
 Hi Janet,
 >I'd use just a few briquettes, maybe 10 or 15.  Pile them up on one
 side of the kettle and put your chiles on the other side.  Soak your
 smoking wood for about 1/2 hour in water before you start the
 >coals.  The idea here is to create smoke, with not a lot of heat. >>

Janet,
For planting next season, in addition to Risa's notes, I'd save some room for
Guajillos and Chimayos.  Since Jalapenos seem to be a main crop, I'd go for
some Biker Billy types, there are as huge and meaty as advertised.

For smoking in the Weber, in addition to the good advice above, I use green
(raw) apple wood trimmings; a shallow pan of water (or flavored liquid, or
orange juice) can help to control the heat if placed directly over the coals
on one side (refill frequently).  Keep the briquette fire low enough that you
can hold your hand over it for 5 seconds, and wait till all are grey before
smoking.  Chunk (real) charcoal is better than briquettes for smoking.  A
Brinkman smoker is about $30, and a lot safer for your Chipotles than the
grille.

Gareth