Re: [CH] Tabasco Sauce Recipe

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 07:31:15 +0100

On 8 Nov 00, Jeffrey Rose wrote:

> Is "fermentation" the wrong term for this kind of pepper extraction?
> This implies there are microorganisms present that will metabolize
> sugars yielding ethanol as a by-product.

There are a lot of uncertain things about this process. With moderate
salt content (about 3%) lactic acid bacteria ferment carbohydrates
into lactic acid. At higher salt contents, I am not sure. Cameron has
some info that suggests that special species of yeasts work here, but
what they exactly do I don't know. Generally, you seem to get various
organic acids out of the process, no alcohol.

> If the pepper mash is
> sterile (no microbes), what causes the bubbling or whatever it is
> that's called "fermentation"?

If you sterilize the mash, you get no fermentation. This is one of
the problems, the Tabasco process relies on naturally present
microorganisms. These may or may not be present if you grow your own
peppers, so there is always a risk of failure.

The bubbling is probably mostly carbon dioxide. Bacteria can ferment
carbohydrates with (heterofermentative) or without (homofermentative)
bubbling. So there may be fermentation even if you see no sign of it.
The taste will change anyway, to more acidity.

> Also, can dried chiles be rehydrated then processed in this way?

Sure, but you will probably have to add the microorganisms. I did
this with dried habs, adding some fermenting sauerkraut, with good
result.

All the best,
Kristofer