[CH] (Recipe) Nam Prik:Was-Thai Pea Eggplants?????

Gary Wiviott (gwiv@enteract.com)
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 12:14:27 -0600

Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:
<snip>
> If you want recipes I have several authentic ones for these wonderful
> treasures.  I'll email off list so folks don't go crazy......but all recipes
> have Chiles galore!
<snip>

Mary-Anne,

Please post them to the list! I may have misunderstood the charter of
the Chile-Head list, as there seems to be a reluctance to post Chile
oriented recipes. Is this mainly a horticulture discussion list focusing
on the care and feeding of chilies?

Thai eggplants go very well in Thai curries, the coconut milk seems to
smooth out the bitter notes, they are also used in table sauces as well
as many other dishes. I am including one of my favorite ways to use Thai
eggplant, the cookbook that is it is from is a good one for mildly
ambitious home cooks and uses ethnic ingredients as opposed to non-Thai
subs, e.g. lemon juice and peel for lemon grass.

Regards,
Gary
CH #2126

Nam Prik

2 tablespoons whole, dried shrimp, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
4 dried red chilies (including seeds) chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons fish sauce (Nam Pla)
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 fresh red or green Serrano chilies, seeded and finely chopped
3 pea eggplants (Makeua Puong), chopped (optional)

In a mortar or food processor, pound or grind the shrimp, garlic, dried
chilies and sugar until the mixture is fragmented and well blended.
Gradually add the fish sauce and lime juice, spoonful by spoonful, until
you have a consistent mixture. Pour in a serving bowl and stir in the
fresh chilies and pea eggplant (if available). This sauce keeps well for
several weeks, refrigerated and tastes even better after a day or so of
storage.

Source: The Original Thai Cookbook
Jennifer Brennan
Page 217, 218