Re: [CH] A recipe and a request

Luke Speer (lukasz@midcoast.com.au)
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 21:18:38 +1100

"Wesley R. Dean" wrote:

> Peg,
>
> I try to visit San Antonio as often as possible and I fully intend on dying
> either
> there or somewhere in Mexico.
>
> A friend suggests you try Taco Inn. Its on San Pedro, inside Loop 410.
> He was there last night and saw that the chef has been
> designated one of the 12 top chefs in South Texas. The other 11 were at
> pricey hotels and very well known restaurants and central market. This is an
> $1.25 for a bowl of soup place!
> He suggests the spicy shrimp soup followed by the meatballs in chipotle sauce
> and topped with the flan covered in raisins dusted with a heavy coat of
> cinnamon. On the 17th, at the intersection of 410 and Blanco they are
> opening a 2nd location that will have more seafood dishes. It will be
> called Guajillo.
>
> I will be visiting San Antonio myself in a  couple of weeks and I intend on
> eating at
> both of these restaurants and many other places as well.  San Antonio is not
> so strong on non-Tex Mex cooking, but you would be hard pressed to find better
> Tex Mex anywhere else.  Although I have favorites in almost every city in
> Texas.
>
> enjoy...
>
> Wesley Dean
>
> At 11:36 AM 12/6/00 -0600, peg wolfe wrote:
> >Hi, all.   First, the request:
> >
> >I'm going to San Antonio at the end of the month for the Alamo Bowl (Go
> >Northwestern whooooooo!).  I have never in my life been there before, but
> >I know it to be a Tex-Mex Mecca.  Any restaurant/bar advice would be
> >greatly appreciated. The hotter, the better, natch.

FWIW One of the best meals I had in San Antonio was at Rosarios in the
university campus area?? The main dish was a Pipian, They only have some
fruit coffe but there is a small place 2-3 doors up the road that does
nice Expresso, I had a couple of good short blacks there while my mother
and Aunt sat in the car..I'll find the Address, A visit to ma Tiera is
also a must, its in the Mercado Area. Ask for the Menudo (Tripe Soup) I
don't generally eat tripe but I ate theirs, I also had a Cabrito dish
(young goat) mine was somewhat older than young.. so specify that you
want the 10 week old or younger kid..