[CH] Purple cayennes, etc.

raincrone@juno.com
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:12:21 -0500

To all:
~~~~~
Anybody have experience with the purple cayennes from Pinetree
Seeds?  The photo shows pods of a gorgeous rich deep purple and flowers
of a strong mid-lavender, and the pods are touted as hotter than most
cayennes, though smaller.   If they taste like cayennes and produce well,
and if the "meat" is anywhere near as purple as the skin, I'm going to
try for a purple cayenne paste.

Doug in BC wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> because I wish more complex flavors to emerge in the dish, I >temper
the chiles,

Me too.  My capsaicin tolerance has been described by one foodie relative
as "unholy"....probably meaning no more than medium by List standards
:)....but maximum bearable heat all the time is simply not what I want.

I mean, yes, I love habbies, and yes, I do keep a bottle of
pepper-extract sauce around (Blair's After Death, which IMHO tastes
better than most) and lots of hab sauce--but on the other hand, many
quite mild chiles have marvelous flavor.  As most of you know, for
instance, I'm a serrano and green-cayenne maven,  and I think some dishes
really are better with a subtle warmth than with killer heat.

> eg...tonight I did a Ma Po Tofu, which I realize, is not everybodys
> favourite(tough bananas) and the heat was Thai red curry paste >AND
szechuan peppercorns, <snip> along with this I did a black
> bean vegeable stir fry,

Drooooollllll!!  Mind sharing the recipes?

Mary-Anne wrote:
>Cut and paste is a good thing.

Amen!  Good reminder.

Keep on rockin',