Re: [CH] Pepper Jelly

Tony Flynn (tony@nzol.net.nz)
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 07:32:31 +1300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Suzanne" <suz2@mindspring.com>
To: "Jeff Snader" <jeffs@ascinet.com>; <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 6:46 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] Pepper Jelly

Well, here is my stand by recipe.
Hot Pepper Jelly

1/2 cup chopped hot peppers
1 cup chopped not so hot peppers (called bell pepper in the original recipe)
1-1/2 cup vinegar (apple cider, white...your call), divided
6 cup sugar
6 ounces pectin (I use Certo)

Blend the peppers and 1/2 cup of the vinegar in a blender.  Boil the sugar
and remaining 1 cup of vinegar for three minutes, stirring until clear.
Remove from heat.  Add the pectin.  Add the peppers and pour into sterilized
jars. (I think one recipe fills 6-8ounce jars).
    This recipe is very good served over cream cheese with crackers.
    Of course the hot/sweet pepper ratio is totally your call.

Hi all

I make mostly Jalapeno jelly but like the idea of different varieties mixed.
Two points of maybe interest.
Not having pectin readily available here in the sticks. I use my plentiful
lemon juice as a setting agent. I will be trying lime juice next time.The
other point is that I make it in the microwave as per a strawberry jam
recipe I use.
Pretty simple.

Tony Flynn
Grandad. Retired at the beach. Bay of Plenty. New Zealand.