Re: [CH] Recipe needed

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 18:42:03 -0600

Luke Speer wrote:

> Has anybody on the list made a Blueberry Chile Sauce??
> My Neighbour works at a Large farm north of here <Tony Flynn> saw some
> of it when he visited and I have come into a couple of Boxes of
> Blueberries..

> 12 Punnets to a Box, these are only the blue-eyes and not the export
> grade Sharwills. These will come next week. so I am after a suitable
> recipe if one exists.

I looked high and low through my 50,000+ recipe archives and came up
with these which may or may not fill your bill and get your motor
running.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Blueberry Duck-style Sauce (adapted)
 Categories: Oriental, Fruit, Chiles
      Yield: 1 Batch

      2 lb Ripe blueberries
      1 lb Ripe, pitted peaches
     10    Serrano or Thai Dragon chile
      1 lb Sugar (or less if fruit is
           Very sweet
      1 c  Vinegar (fruity vinegar)
      4 tb Dark soy sauce
      5 cl Garlic; finely minced
      1 tb Ginger root; finely minced
           To taste

  (1) Finely dice peaches. You can peel them, if you like,
      by dipping then in boiling water for a few seconds. Or,
      alternatively grate them in the food processor. I like
      mine in small cubes. Chop or process the blueberries.
      Put in a sauce pan.

  (2) Finely chop the chiles (seed them if desired) and add to
      fruit.

  (3) Add all the rest of the ingredients, bring to boil,
      lower the heat and simmer for an hour (to 1.5 hours).
      Note that no water is added. The fruit should be enough,
      but try not to lose the juice when chopping them.

  (4) Taste and correct sweetness, or maybe some more soy
      sauce, or more chiles. (I usually let it simmer for one
      hour, taste it, add whatever needed and simmer some more.)

  (5) Put in jar(s).  Ripen in the fridge for a MONTH before
      eating.

      Keeps a long time in the fridge, or you can process in a
      water bath and can it.

  (6) Eat with Peking Duck, Chinese Dumplings...

  Adapted from a recipe by Gil Rivlis

  MM Format by Dave Drum - 01 April 1996

  FROM: Dirty Dave's Archives
MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Blueberry-Peach Chutney
 Categories: Pickles, Chiles, Fruit
      Yield: 1 Batch

      1    Habanero, stemmed
      1 lb Blueberries
      1 lg Ripe peach
           Juice of 1 lime
           Curry powder
           Cumin

  I just drop the habanero in a running food processor and
  then add the other ingredients and pulse until semi smooth.
  The habanero gives it a nice heat in contrast to the
  sweetness of the fruit.

  FROM: Dirty Dave's Archives
MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: BLUEBERRY JEZEBEL SAUCE
 Categories: Sauces, Chiles, Fruit
      Yield: 4 1/2 Cups

     18 oz Blueberry Jam or preserves
      1 cn Dry Mustard (small can)
      1 tb Black Pepper, Cracked
     18 oz Jar, Apple Jelly
           HorseRadish (small jar)

  Combine all ingredients; blend well. Put in jelly jars and
  refrigerate. Delicious with pork or beef. This will keep
  indefinitely in the refrigerator.

  Makes 4 1/2 cups.

  FROM: Dirty Dave's Archives
MMMMM

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider