Re: [CH] OT parsley

VoodooChile (raelsixty4@earthlink.net)
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:29:26 -0700

At 11:08 AM 12/31/00 -0800, peter g wrote:
>hi folks,
> this posting is only marginally on topic, but since parsley finds its
>way into many "chilefied" dishes ... well i thought i'd ask ...
>   what's the best way to store freshly cut parsley ?
>no matter where i buy it, or what method of storage i try
>the stuff is as limp as a noodle within 48 hours.
>there's gotta be a way to keep parsley fresh longer than that.
>any advice?

check the temp of your fridge.  Most folks keep theirs quite warm, IMO...i
tend to keep mine just above freezing, 34-deg F. is perfect.  also, there
will most likely be a rear corner in the top of the fridge that is cooler
than the rest of the fridge overall.  This spot will either be the best
place to keep parsley (stored as others have said, in a glass of water -
stems trimmed) or the place to avoid as it'll be too cold (which does not
seem to be your case); this is the exact same way i store fresh cilantro.

BUT - i prefer to freeze parsley and cilantro.  I use these two herbs quite
often, but not often enought to warrant, in my thinking, keeping a glass of
water in my fridge that invariably gets sloshed about; and two, sometimes
the herbs are just going to die...they have been in the store for too long
or whatever.  So i freeze them whole, as is, although sometimes i pick the
leaves from the stems...depends how industrious i feel when back from the
store.  It's actually easier, IMO, to just pull a clump from a bag, chop it
frozen, and use as required (i typically use the stems and all in my
cooking).  Granted, if you want parsley on-hand for garnishing or the like,
fresh is the only way to go (the dried stuff is about as flavorful as lawn
clippings...no, actually lawn clippings are pretty damn good in
comparison), but since a "bunch" is about the norm for most recipes, buy
your bunches, freeze them as is, and worry no mo'...

parsley, IMO, does not dry worth a crap.

Peace...

Rael
Rael64
Mississippi Redneck Cook
Monk of the TCS / Order of Immaculate Twister
Keeper of the Faith
and a Towel...