Re: [CH] seeds to Oz

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:50:08 -0500

Hi C-H's,

Luke Speer wrote:

>I Need some guidance on Tepins, I have had several lots of seed Some
>from Tx and some from Arizona, I have had problems with both, they just
>don't seem to grow much past 3 inches high in the coastal micro climate
>that I have them in, My mother grew some to fruit but they were still
>small and seemed to take 2 yrs to mature,..

I have grown then in the past as low bushes here in central Ohio.
(40degN) I found then to be rather easy to grow compared with some
varieties.

>Anybody out there can suggest the right soil medium/ depth/ length of
>sunlight/ temps etc..

I used to overwinter them inside in pots where they make nice
"Christmas Trees". They do take a few years to establish and form
dense bushes. I cannot think of any special requirements. Maybe don't
water them too much.

>I had some, and pound for pound consider them more deadly than Habs..

I absolutely agree. There are a couple of confusing factors however.
The original Scoville test is nearly worthless. The new "scientific"
chromatography methods give lots of numbers, but I do not know of any
agreed procedures for sample preparation, calibration or to put it
simply a scientific method. Instead each food company or
pharmaceutical manufacturer uses their own in house methods of
assessing capsaicin concentrations. But then it gets even more
confusing. It seems that different people have different
sensitivities to the ratios and concentrations of the individual
capsaicinoids. Thus it becomes impossible to be definitive about
which pepper is the hottest. Not that it really matters of course. We
are above that sort of nonsense right?

So it is a matter of personal experience and sensitivity. Some things
are very hard to quantify. I like it that way!
--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.