Re: [CH] Opinions desired- Only slightly OT

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:44:54 -0600

Jeff.Schickowski@med.va.gov wrote:

> I need your help... at least from some of you. I am entering a chili cook
> off in February, and I would like suggestions from anyone who has tasted my
> chili powder (Of course I'll get opinions from everyone, so kind of ignore
> that last part).

> Was it missing anything? Too much of any one flavor? How was it heat-wise?
> Or should I leave well enough alone?

Haven't tasted your chilli mix so I can't comment on that specifically.

> Any tips from all you experienced chili makers out there?

I've cooked chilli competitively for several years. Won some, lost a lot
more. It's a *very* competitive hobby. Some observations - judges are
members of the local (usually) public and are *NOT* chileheads. A good
middle-of-the-road chilli usually wins. Judges like the taste of veggies
(a little bell pepper, garlic, onion, etc.) in their chilli but they
don't want to see chunks of the veggies in their sample. Different areas
expect different levels of oil (it's "oil" in chilli - grease
elsewhere). Almost no chilli judges are into CH levels of heat - too
much heat in your judging sample will cost you points. If using cubed
meat - be sure the meat is tender but not mushy at turn-in time.

Jeeziz - there's a lot of little tips and tricks. But, the main things
are 1) Good chilli flavour, 2) Plenty garlic, 3) Plenty cumin, 4) Not
too much salt or heat. Cook your best pot of red and don't try to "chase
the judges". Judges change from cook-off to cook-off and location to
location.

Sample your competitor's chilli. Especially (if you can) taste the
winner's cup to see how it compares to yours. It may help in your next
competition.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider