Re: [CH] When to start seedlings?

RisaG (radiorlg@home.com)
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 07:37:25 -0500

I use seed starter. I use one of those indoor greenhouse things that are
made of styrofoam, plastic top and plastic bottom to hold the water. Works
quite well. I water when they start to look dry, which is usually every day
to every other day.

I've grown 98% of my chiles from seed for about 6 years and have had 85%
germination of all my seeds. Some never germinated and some germinated and
when I transplanted them, they died for some reason. I am happy with the way
I start them.

1) Pick which seeds to start
2) Soak them in TSP and also a tea soak.
3) Next day, make up batch of seed starter.
4) Clean the greenhouse things (From Gardeners Supply) and place seed
starter in all the holes.
5) Place a seed or two (depending on how tiny) in each hole.
6) Write on piece of paper which seeds are in which holes (I have the holes
numbered on the greenhouse).
7) Water well.
8) Place on top of refrigerator until first leaves appear and then place in
sunny window.
9) Water every day to every other day.

Seems to work.

RisaG