RE: [CH] CHILE KIDS

Mary & Riley (uGuys@ChileGarden.com)
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:22:56 -0800

Sunny,

You mention really most of the good alternatives but assume they aren't
accessible to high school students.  They are.

They could set up a liquid chromatography column easily enough.  Cheaper
than the more commercial gas chromatography.   They could use either a
packed column, or even paper for the solid phase.  Take a little research
and experimenting.  They'd have to get some samples of pure capsaicin, too.
Maybe some of the chemists here have some suggestions on this?

Also, the old fashioned organoleptic Scoville test is rather easy to do.
They could set up a panel and do it the old fashioned way, diluting sugar
water with precise concentrations of extract until there was no experience
of heat.

Best regards,

Riley