Re: [CH] Peri-Peri/Piri-Piri Sauce Request (Portuguese Style)

RisaG (radiorlg@home.com)
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:29:09 -0500

This one was posted on chile-heads list awhile back but I had it in
Mastercook. It was originally posted by Mary Anne so I am sure it was made
many times over. Right Mary Anne???

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                             Piri-Piri Sauce

Recipe By     : Mary Anne Durkee
Categories    : Chile-Heads                      Chiles
                Mary-Anne                        Sauces

--------  ------------  ------------------------------
   2      cups          tomato sauce -- canned
     1/2  cup           lemon juice
     1/2  cup           white onions -- very finely chopped
   1      Tbsp          garlic powder
   1      Tbsp.         crushed red pepper (Pilli-pilli).

In a 2-quart bowl blend the canned tomato sauce, lemon juice, chopped white
onions, garlic powder and crushed red pepper. Keep refrigerated in covered
container. Serve as a relish sauce in a bowl.
When used with seafood add 1/4 cup grated horseradish. An excellent cocktail
sauce.

Add 2 oz. (1/4 cup) dry red wine for a gourmet sauce for bland meats. Add
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh tomatoes as they do in some parts of Africa.

yield : 3 cups

area: Africa
course: sauce

source: The African Cookbook / Bea Sandler

Posted to Chile-Heads 11/1/00

RisaG