Re: [CH] Tonight's Dinner - Crockpot Red Beans & Rice

Rael64 (raelsixty4@earthlink.net)
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 15:51:14 -0700

At 08:46 AM 3/3/01 -0500, John Benz Fentner, Jr. wrote:
>Hey Rael:
>
>Once upon a time you (at least I think it wuz you) posted a
>red beans & rice recipe that used pickled ginger. You
>wouldn't happen to have that handy wouldja? I can't find the
>copy I saved.

found it...edited it (language/procedures...it's my nature)...

Upon thinking (a chore in itself, mind you) i added the pickled ginger
because <1> i had it in the fridge <2> i thought it would add a wang to the
recipe.  did.  does.  dig?

groovy...

Raeleyeam

-------64-------
                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                                Red Beans

Recipe By     : Rael64; based on a recipe by Paul Prudhomme
Serving Size  :
Categories    : Sausage
                Beans

     1/2  pound         dried red beans -- picked through
   4      cups          water

   1      teaspoon      dry mustard
   1      teaspoon      salt (may sub. Tamari/etc. to taste)
   1 1/2  teaspoons     cayenne
   1      teaspoon      garlic -- fresh, minced
   1      teaspoon      thyme -- dried
     1/2  teaspoon      oregano -- dried
     1/2  teaspoon      black pepper
   1      teaspoon      ground chiles, your preference
          pinch         nutmeg (like, 1/8 teaspoon)

   2      tablespoons   vegetable oil (less, if desired - can use butter
and/or)
   1 1/2  cups          onion -- chopped small
     1/2  cup           bell pepper, grn/red/yellow/etc. -- chopped small
     1/2  cup           celery -- chopped small
     1/2  pound         smoked sausage, sliced into rounds * -- quarter rounds
   1      tablespoon    garlic -- minced
   1      tablespoon    pickled ginger -- minced
   3      cups          chicken/veg stock -- water won't get it

   1      each          chile (I prefer serrano) -- halved

* O' course, andouille is the best sausage, but alas, it ain't a common
thing unless you're 'round about Louisiana.  So, use smoked sausage if you
must.

Small = 1/4 inch max.

Prep Beans: unless you enjoy soaking beans overnight, do this: place the 4
cups water in a pot and bring to a boil.  Add beans when boiling.  Let
beans boil uncovered for 2 minutes.  Cover pot and let beans soak in water
OFF HEAT for 1 hour whilst you prepare everything else for this recipe.

METHOD

Combine all dry seasonings as well as the 1 teaspoon minced garlic. Set aside.

Turn on the overhead fan above your oven.  And as always, exercise CAUTION
when dealing with high heat.

Heat a 4-5 quart stock pot on high heat until very hot, almost smoking.
Carefully add the oil to the pot and allow oil to heat thoroughly and just
begin to smoke, about 1-2 minutes.  Add half of the onions, bell peppers,
and celery, and all of the smoked sausage.  Cook and stir constantly for
about 5 minutes to allow the vegetables and sausage to sear and sweat.
Smells good, neh?

Add the garlic, pickled ginger, the halved chile(s), and lastly the
seasoning mix.  Stir well, continuing to cook over high heat for about 1
minute.  I do not recommend sticking your nose/face into the steam.  Add
the beans; stir well.  Continue to cook and stir for another 2-3 minutes,
scraping the bottom of the pan as you stir.  Do *not* burn.

Add the stock all at once and stir once more, insuring you scrape the
bottom of the pan, getting all the good stuff that has begun to accumulate
there.  Bring to a boil.

When a boil is reached, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer.  Allow to
simmer for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender to your liking.

Serve over rice, couscous, French bread, pasta (fettucini is nice), or eat
out of the pan.  Makes damn good burritos, and goes well with a fried egg
or two.

NOTES : Obviously, one can add as many chiles as desired to this: habs,
Thai, mix, clean out the cupboards, etc.  This version "as is" is quite
mild.