RE: [CH] quick questions

Art Jeyes (artjeyes@yahoo.com)
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:26:28 -0500

About 3 years ago I lived in an apartment for a while and had wonderful
success growing Joe Parker New Mexico Green Chile indoors using a
hydroponics setup that held 6 plants and took up about 2 ft. x 3 ft. of
space.  The peppers were great and some guests that visited from Las Cruces,
NM said they were as good as local Hatch green Chile...

Art

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Jim Weller
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 3:13 AM
To: Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] quick questions

 -=> Quoting "Chris Cherry" to All <=-

 "C> (from Texas)

 "C> I live in an apartment, so I'm sad to say I don't get to garden the
 "C> way I would like. What are some chiles that would grow well in a
 "C> windowsill, and what would be the most effective methods to growing
 "C> them?

I have a yard but no garden and have been growing peppers in pots for
years. All of them seem to do well: I have grown sweet and hot banana
peppers, jalapenos, cayennes, habaneros, an F1 hybrid called Super
Chili and some kind of ornamental chile called "Chinese Fire Pepper" by
the nursery who sold me them to me as little bedding plants.

If you cut back the plant to about half each fall, let them go dormant
with no fertilizer and minimal water over winter and re-pot each spring
they tend to live 2 to 4 years. I use grow lights from Nov to March and
put them out on the deck during our short summers (June to August).

I live in Yellowknife, in northern Canada, so your methods will be
different but I would imagine you could grow any variety you choose.

                                                YK Jim