[CH] the whole entero story

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:53:27

>From: Shantihhh@aol.com

><< Chile Puya - Whole Pods
>Chile California Entero Pods
>Chile Guarillo Entero Pods
>
>She said that the Entero Pods are a mild chile and the Guarillo are Hot,
>according to the bag, but what about the Puya??>>
>
>Risa,
>

>California Entero - maybe this is what we call the California Chile

As someone else mentioned, "entero" means "whole" (think of it as "entire")
and it appears in other names like comino entero for whole cumin seed.
There's also comino molido, ground cumin.

Thanks for those pepper descriptions, lately I've been experimenting with
sauces made from mild dried chiles.  I've made some batches of chili that
have a strong pepper flavor but little heat, and no one is afraid of them.

(stirring the pot) While some like to insist that real chili should not have
beans, I like to assert that real chili does not need tomatoes to make it
red.  The redness of the chiles themselves should do it - plus, when there
is oil or fat mixed in, it takes on a very strong red color.  Good for
dipping bread.  Avoiding the tomatoes also lets me cook the chile in cast
iron, which of course makes the Lodge combo skillet very happy.  And when my
cast iron is happy, I'm happy.

- A