Re: [CH] PAL etc

mstevens@exit109.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:27:03 GMT

At 11:57 AM 3/22/01 EST, Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:

><< I don't suppose it would be possible for someone to create a PAL version
>copy
>for our Asian and European CHs? >>
>We picked up some DVD in Paris and found it interesting that our DVD player
>couldn't play them (which we had already guessed)  BUT our PC was quite happy
>playing the DVD's.  So there is a thought if someone has a burner they could
>burn a copy for both US and European and Asian, etc. systems.  It's
>lightweight and easier-read cheaper to mail!

Actually this is not so much the result of broadcast incompatibility as it is a
manufacturing strategy.  DVDs are pressed with encoding for the region in which
they are released.  If you look at the DVD cover it will indicate a Region code
as a number.  Region code 1 is North America, Region 2 is Europe and I believe
Region 3 is asia.  I'm not sure about South America.  The DVD players are also
sold with circuitry that will only allow DVDs from the correct region to be
played.  This was done allegedly so that DVDs of movies released in the US and
Canada could not be played overseas in markets where the movie might not have
gotten theatrical release.  Conversely, DVDs of overseas movies that have been
availabe there (Like Crouching Tiger) will not play on Region 1 players.  You
have to wait for the US DVD issue.

PCs don't have the ability to differentiate between region coding so will play
them.

I won't even go into the copy protection that prevents you from taping DVDs...

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                                  Life is a Cabernet!