Re: : Re: [CH] Mild (no heat) Jalepenos

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:52:19 -0500

At 11:03 AM 3/22/2001 -0500, Gary Allen wrote:
>danceswithcarp asked:
>
> >I haven't figured out how they
> >crispy-pickle the jalapenos while still heat processing the jars;
>they are
> >the Clausen's of canned peppers.   Anyone got any ideas?
>
>Many Japanese pickles have that crisp texture--IIRC, their pickles
>often contain alum (potassium aluminum sulfate dodecahydrate).  Just a
>theory, of course, not having seen the ingredient list...

I've tried alum on all kinds of pickles.  It hasn't had much of an effect
and I don't want to dump too much of the stuff in them.   I'll look around
in your links.  I do so long for a crisp canned jalapeno.  I cold-pickled a
ton of cukes this summer last; man, they were delish.  But they only were
good for about 3 or 4 months.

carp