Re: [CH] Powdered Eggs

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 08:14:08 -0500

The Process:
The eggs in shells are washed and sanitized, then they are broken and
separated into whites,  yolks and mixture of white and yolk. The liquid
egg product is filtered, mixed and chilled before pasteurization.
Pasteurization ensures that egg products are salmonella - negative. The
next stage is the drying process. Dried egg products are usually
produced by spray drying. For long storage stability glucose is removed
from egg products. Dry egg products produced with the above described
techniques can be stored for 12 months and are a terrific source of
nutrition.
I don't think it would be a good idea to try it in a food dehydrator, it
would more then likely cook the egg. (other nasty thoughts come to mind
as well.)

Chet

Frank Francisco wrote:

> I am wondering if it is possible to make powdered eggs with a food
> dehydrator.  Is there a procedure for this?
> Frank

* Chet Bacon   KA1ILH     |           Okay, who put a             *
* PO Box 284              |         "stop payment" on my          *
* Southington, CT 06489   |             reality check?            *
* E-Mail:                 | Homepage:                             *
* chet@chetbacon.com      | http://www.chetbacon.com              *
* chet_bacon@whps.org     |<work>  http://www.whps.org            *
* Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco*
* Adopt a Doberman     Help end puppy mills!      www.dru.org     *