Re: [CH] Powdered Eggs

Uncle Dirty Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 17:46:06 -0600

At 06:48 PM 3/25/01 +0200, Steve M Duddy wrote:
>Aren't some eggs freeze dried?  I know of a cool technique used by the
>sailors of old involving rubbing the shells with fat and submerging them in
>salt water.  Kept eggs fresh for months apparently.  Okay, not quite fresh
>as you and me have come to expect, but they didn't actually move, and sure
>just forget about those meringues.  Haven't actually tried this out myself.

In the US we have used sodium silicate (aka "water glass"or "egg
preserver") to preserve eggs. The sodium silicate would fill the pores of
the eggshell and preserve eggs (dry) without refrigeration for up to one
year. I've heard stories of longer storage but would hesitate to break
/any/ egg over a year old.

I have used 10 month old eggs to make egg salad and deviled eggs. Egg salad
with pickled jalapenos is great. Deviled eggs made with Colman's Dry
mustard and mayo are wonderful - especially if you garnish each egg with a
pitted olive and replace the pimento stuffing with a piece of ripe red
jalapeno.

>A question for someone a bit more computer literate than myself.  How do you
>answer a [CH] Mail without having to type the subject line verbatim.  I'm
>sure it's just a click away....

I just hit the "reply" or "reply all" button on my mail program. The
program bungs on the Re: part and the mail list daemon plugs on the [CH]
part. This works with Netscrap's internal mailer, Outlook Express from
Microsnot and with Eudora - that I know of. If you are working from a shell
program - you're on your own and nothing is automatic.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider