Re: [CH] Real Nacho Cheese Sauce?

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:03:44 -0800

Veronica wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I want to make a good sauce, not the fast food variety.  I usually just
> nuke some shredded cheddar with chopped jalps, and it works for me, but
> it ain't pretty.  I ltried blending jalp juice with the melting cheese,
> but it still isn't sauce-like, and I am trying to avoid the tedium of
> making a white sauce starter ala' Martha Stewart.  (I am basically
> lazy--It's a good thing!)

If by "jalp juice" you mean the vinegary brine used to pickle and
preserve chiles...not a good idea, it can lead to curdling and/or
oil separation.  Here's how I make smooth, creamy cheese sauce.
Melt some cream cheese in a double boiler or in a sauce pan on
a stovetop flame diffuser.  Continue heating over low heat while
gradually adding good quality, aged cheddar cheese, a handful at
time, stiring constantly to avoid burning the cheese at the pan
bottom.  You can stir in chopped, drained pickled chiles to make
cheese sauce for nachos but don't add the pickling juice.  If you
want to add more heat than just jalapenos will supply, stir in some
ground cayenne or other hot ground chile.  Once the cheese sauce
is thoroughly blended, it can be refrigerated and successfully
nuked as needed, allowing you to be as lazy as you want.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/