Re: [CH] Tabasco Sauce (tm)

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:41:55 -0600

Doug Irvine wrote:

> ...  I happen to really enjoy the flavour of a
> nice orange hab, raw, all by itself, but then, not everyone has the same taste
> buds, nor do all CH'ers enjoy raw habs, either. ...

  And then there are those of us who are "of the mild persuasion" (Right Sandy), and
don't know if we like raw Habs. because we can't eat a large enough piece of one to
get any flavor off of it.

  My $0.02, just for the record:

  Tabasco - Readily available just about anywhere, which is a plus when you forget
your stash, but can add too much of a vinegary taste to some foods, as we all know.
The Habanero and Jalapeno varieties seem to have a much better flavor.  (Can't recall
the details of the Garlic variety; been too long.)  The comment about Tabasco being
the "Budweiser" of sauces, and being a transitional device does bring up one thing.
If someone doesn't know any better, and really dislikes vinegar, they may discount
hot sauces altogether after trying it.  I had a similar opinion of beer, and thought
it was all awful until I spent a few months trying many different beers, and
ultimately realized that there are about four of five out there that appeal to me.
But for many years I just wrote it off and didn't even consider drinking any.  Just
in case anyone is interested, the ones I buy on a semi-frequent basis now are:

  Franziskaner Dunkel Weiss

  Hacker Pschorr Dunkel Weiss

  Kostritzer (Schwarzbier - I understand they have different varieties, but this the
only one I've seen around here.  They also seem to sell cycling clothes, but I can't
get them to send me a catalog so I can order any.)

  Weihenstephaner Dunkel Weiss

  And occasionally Erdinger Dunkel Weiss

  All have the added benefit of helping to fill you up a little if you're having a
particularly small dinner. :-)

--
Erich
C-H # 2099