Re: Fw: [CH] V7 #325 sandwich toaster

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:56:53 -0800

Mike Huculak wrote:

> I remember that gizmo. It probably has reversable griddle plates so you can
> make waffles, too.

We do have such a reversible griddle/waffle cooker, but the one
I'm talkin' about has smooth, permanently fix-in-place plates.

> I don't think that's the sandwich toaster everybody's talking about.

No, it isn't.  What they're discussing is compartmented and has
a tight closing lid that sorta crimps the edges of the sandwiches
and seals 'em.  The one my wife's family brought from Canada is
hinged in such a manner as to allow the hinged edge to float up
so the two plates remain parallel.

> ... The
> cheese would almost always run out onto the plates and burn.

Actually, one of the main purposes of this sandwich toaster is
for making such things as grilled cheese sandwiches.  The heated
bottom plate and lid plate cook both sides of the sandwich at the
same time in half the time it would take to cook one side at a time
on a regular cast iron griddle.  The cheese in the middle is heated
while the two sides toast but doesn't get hot enough to become
liquid goo.

In all the years we've been married, I can't recall seeing my wife
use it.  But, I might have to get it out and give it a try.  Maybe
a grilled habanero jack cheese sandwich with some Tuong ot Sriracha
for dipping in place of the more traditional ketchup.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/