Re: [CH] Mexican heat (was law)

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:39:31 -0700

"M. & L. Doster" wrote:

> Perhaps I misunderstand what is meant by "intentionally incendiary",

Hot enough that a chile-head wouldn't have to add heat to be
satisfied.

> All of the Mexican restaurants around here (an area of California with a
> large Mexican/Mexican-American population) have Chile Colorado, which is
> beef cooked in ground up dried red chile peppers and is hot (although not
> too hot).  I don't know which chile peppers are used.

The chiles used in Chile Colorado are usually ancho, New Mexico and
California.  These chiles are rich in flavor but mild to medium in
heat.  I've ordered Chile Colorado in restaurants before and it's
been tasty but not chile hot.  Even when I make it myself, I usually
serve it with crushed red chile and/or sliced pickled jalapenos
on the side to add some heat.

> A lot of the restaurants also have Camarones de la Diabla, which is shrimp
> cooked with hot chile peppers. This can be hot.

Anything can be made hot, I do it all the time, even to things that
aren't intended to be hot.  Ask my mother-in-law, she thinks what
I do to food with chiles is a crime...but she's a Canadian and
Canadians, with the exception of Doug Irvine of course, don't seem
to have much tolerance for truly "chile hot" food.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/