Re: [CH] Seattle WA Area Chile Heads -- Rocoto Starts V7 #331

Ron Levi (InnuendoEntLLC@netscape.net)
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:44:29 -0400

Cameron Begg <begg.4@osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi C-H's,
>
> Niall Shackleford asked:
>
> >Any pointers on getting Rocotos to spout.........
>
> A heating mat. Rocotos are tough to germinate unless the soil
> temperature is in the 75-90degF range. The nearer 90deg you get the
> better the germination rate. Do NOT however go hotter!
>
> You can buy seed tray heaters off the internet, or you might go into
> your local "Boots" and see if they have a back or foot warming pad.
>
> --
> ---
>                       Regards,               Cameron.

I bought a device called a "Hotbed" at the local Orchard Supply Hardware. It is a Canadian made product. It was about $26. To my surprize I have sprouts in three to four days. I have never seen this happen so quickly!

--
Best Regards,

Ron Levi
Member