[CH] Recipe from JimC, Hot Luck and Cornbread

Steven L. Thomas (steven@thomasfamilywinery.com)
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:32:38 -0600

>Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:40:50 +0000
>From: Doug Irvine <dougandmarie@home.com>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Stop the presses!  A Recipe from Jim C

>"wildpepper.com" wrote:

>> Okay- no one faint here, and no snide comments ;-)  I'm posting a recipe

>OK.....now what about the cornbread?   I was in time to see the article,
>but not download! You may even get to eat it...:-) Doug

The corn bread recipe came from non-list CHer John Sheckler. John has been
a regular at these Hot Lucks and a friend of the winery from our inception.
He's a great cook and gardener and this bread was no different than
anything else he does.. It was VERY good!  He used small Thai red and Aji
Habaneros in the recipe.  The Thais were pretty hot, but WOW!, the Aji
Habanero took my head off and it was the first time all weekend that I
finally got into the endorphin phase  of chile enjoyment! Let's get John on
the list!

Devil-frog Cornbread

1 C	Flour
1 C	Cornmeal
1 TBS	Baking powder
1 tsp	Salt
1 tsp	Sugar
    Mix all dry ingredients, then add:
1 C (approx)	Whole milk
1	Egg, lightly beaten
1/2 C	Cottage cheese
2 TBS	Butter or bacon grease, melted
1 	Large onion, coarsely chopped
Add as many chopped chiles as you prefer
	Mix all ingredients to a slightly thick batter, pour into a COOL,
greased pan or iron skillet.  Garnish the top with whole chiles and place
in a preheated oven at 425 F for 25 minutes.

Thanks for all the great comments re: Hot Luck and Fiery Foods!  Everyone
who came had a great time as did we.  Rockin' Randy won the "Most
Innovative" award in the Salsa Competition for his Pineapple Habanero
Salsa.  Jerry Adkins, the Roasted Poblano and Corn Soup author, received
the "Sombrero Grande" for his Cascabel Chile Salsa!

Steve Thomas