Re: [CH] OL-Salsa recipe request

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 09:57:25 -0700

"Elden E. Martin" wrote:

> Does anyone have a salsa recipe that also uses tomatillos?  I have a plant
> in the ground that is going to give me babies in a few weeks and I want to
> create!! er-cook with them.  I have plenty of heat and I want to experiment.
> Thanks...Patty

Salsa de Chipotle

     2.0 - dried chipotle chiles
     6.0 - fresh tomatillos
     1.0 - clove garlic
     0.25 - medium onion, minced
     0.25 cup - cilantro, coarsely chopped
     as needed - red wine vinegar

Toast chiles on a hot comal until crisp but not burned and set
aside.  Place tomatillos and garlic on the comal and toast,
turning often, until the husks are brown and the flesh is soft.
Crumble the chiles into a molcajete and grind to a coarse powder.
Peel and add the garlic clove and grind into a paste. Remove the
husks from the tomatillos and discard.  Cut the tomatillos into
quarters.  Add a few pieces of tomatillo to the molcajete and
blend well before adding more.  Continue until all the tomatillos
have been blended into the chile/garlic paste.  Blend in half the
cilantro and add red wine vinegar as needed until the mixture
achieves a thick table sauce consistency.  Sprinkle other half
of cilantro over the sauce just before serving.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/