Re: R: [CH] California Wines-perfection w/Chiles

Dana H. Myers (dana@dioxine.com)
Thu, 03 May 2001 11:26:06 -0700

Mary & Riley wrote:

> > including the really pumped Harvey Vineyard virago), Claudia
> > Springs (esp.0
> > the Rhodes Vineyard), and, at a very attractive price, the
> > R.H. Phillips/Kempton
> > Clark Lopez Ranch Zin (only $8 at local Cost Plus).  Many
> > other fine Zins are
> > available, these are just some particular faves of mine.
>
> On our way to Kings Canyon last June Mary and I stopped at a roadside
> ranch store in the Calif Central Valley during our honeymoon.  Phillips
> ranch.  We went in to buy some fruit and decided to taste and compare
> the wines this ranch produced to those of the Sonoma Valley we'd left
> that morning.

R.H. Phillips is based in Esparto, in an area known as Dunnigan Hills
in Yolo County.  It's about 30-45 minutes due west of Sacramento.
I rather suspect that the Phillips Ranch you found in the Central Valley
is not the same as the rather large R. H. Phillips winery that was
bought by a Canadian wine company last year.

Dana  K6JQ
dana@dioxine.com