Re: [CH] Mary & Riley's lime

byron bromley (byron.bromley@gsd-co.com)
Wed, 9 May 2001 17:03:48 -0400

Riley

Getting rid of the tree does not change the soil pH over night,  Pine trees
have been there for ?? thousands of years.

AMI  meters,  I liked this one the best of the cheap meters.   I hope that
you also have the manual that came with it.

If you do, the note pg 9  this is a chart of pH and plant nutrients.

If you read the chart you will find that the plants ability to absorb P
falls of between 6.5 and 6. Potassium starts to fall of at 6.0, Ca starts at
7.0
Mg at 7.0  at 4.5 these are way below min needs.

Going the other way nutrients of iron start dropping at above 6.0,
Manganese, at 7.0 and above Boron, copper and zinc
drop off, at a pH of 8.0 these are not available to plants.

Hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide

http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/hydrated_lime.html

So is slaked lime
http://www.bartleby.com/65/x-/X-slakedli.html

Ground Limestone is calcium carbonate.

http://www.wcdinc.com/plisting.html?t=cc&grp=1

I read it as a 2 different chemicals.

Home brew calibration,  Moisten some sterile seed starting medium with
vinegar.  Needle should read about 4.5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cameron

 > > I think it's reckoned to be about pH6.5 but they will tolerate
> > anything in the ph4.5-pH8.5 range. Chiles are very tolerant. I cannot

Since you said it,  I would love to see you prove this.

Please grow 4 chiles in a soil pH of 4.5,  4 in 6.75  and 4 in a pH of 8.5.

Then after 90 days provide us with photos of the differences in the plants
and pods and the taste/heat  your judgement close enough..

An additional note on soil pH.

A couple years ago some of use thought
we had some bad seeds. Because ou habanros were not ripenned correctly.

A choc hab in a soil pH of 6.2 will ripen orange with little or no heat.
Country Girls and Peter Peppers will not rippen in a pH of 6.2.  Red
Savina's rippen orange,  scotch bonnets did not ripen.  All plants and pods
were about 1/3 smaller, with little or no heat.

This is what happened in my garden

L.B.