Re: [CH] Black Plastic Mulch

Chad A Gard (gard@indy.net)
Fri, 11 May 2001 15:46:30 -0500

At 11:04 AM -0500 5/11/01, Mike Benson wrote:
>Does anyone know where to get black plastic mulch for the pepper patch?
>
>For those of you that have been to the Open Fields, I'm looking for something
>like what Jim uses.  It's a thin black material that lets water through, but
>doesn't let weeds grow.  It also helps to warm the soil.  I'm hoping I can get
>this a the local lawn and garden store, and not have to mail order the stuff.
>My pepper patch is only about 18 ft. by 18 ft., so I don't need to cover a
>huge
>area.

There are a number of these "landscape fabrics".  I would name some brands,
except I shouldn't do that, as one of the larger clients at my place of
employment makes  one of them, and we designed the packaging and some other
promotional materials, got 'em a mention on "this old house" and a
placement shot on "hometime".  So I won't.  They're all the same,
essentially, anyway.  Take a look in the greenhouse area of your local
Lowes/Menards/Home Depot any time, or in the spring at most TrueValue
hardware stores.  They'll be in rolls that are about 3' wide, like wrapping
paper, usually near mulch and stepping stones and the really skinny little
trees.

Chad Gard, CTS KB9WXQ
INCHASE: http://www.inchase.org  Co-founder
SCOA: http://www.stormchasersofamerica.org  Member #3