[CH] Re: Fruit flies

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Fri, 18 May 2001 12:56:04

>From: "Elden E. Martin" <eldenemartin@earthlink.net>

>I will sometimes pick a few peppers or other veggies to ripen on the
>counter
>and that causes major fruit fly infestations at certain times of the year.

I noticed that the Mexican food section in our Meijer store has been
re-designed.  It used to be open bins of legumes, peppers, and other things
like brown sugar and dried fruits.  If you took the trouble to stop and
observe, you could see the gnats all around it.  No wonder I keep getting
these things.  Now they have closed bins more like a typical bulk-foods
section.

I once tried a little dish of honey as a gnat trap.  Not very effective.

- A