Re: [CH] chile, chilli Sauce & Paste V7 #353

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:02:17 -0400

Hi C-H's,

Over the years we have periodically remarked upon spelling variations
of our favo(u)rite fruit, and local C-H friend Alex commented on the
subject:

>And sometimes in Indian groceries here I've bought chilly powder.  Must be
>one more thing waiting to confuse people trying to learn the English
>language...

That would depend upon where one was learning "English". Let me
remind the N. Americans on this list that you are seriously
outnumbered in the spelling department, not least with your quaint
use of "chile"! However I have no wish to inflame nationalistic
passions. Quite the opposite. Let us revel in the knowledge that that
email is a world wide medium and that we can share and enjoy our hot
experiences together.

Now let us rise and sing ........ Ooops!

(I'm not really a Cardinal you know.)

Newbie Rob Henshaw wrote:

>I am new to this list.  I am also new to the pepper world.

Wow! Welcome to both. He went on to say:

>This is where it gets cool.  I have a metal mesh
>strainer that is large, but the mesh is very thin.  I
>put the strainer over another sauce pan and poured my
>blended material into the strainer.  I let all of the
>"juice" strain out into the sauce pan.

Good move. My method is to repeatedly freeze/thaw peppers pods until
they are mushy. Not to be confused with "mouchie" (in joke for German
knuckle-draggers.) The pods then go through our KitchenAid ricer. A
ricer is a device with a screw that forces the chillis against a
perphorated metal screen. The skins and seeds are ejected, and the
juice/flesh slush collected in a bowl. Works well for any soft fruit
like tomatoes. Kewl tulle. Oh, not tulle silly. That's something for
the bridle path.
--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.