Re: [CH] "Giant 'veg from space'"

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Thu, 31 May 2001 07:11:16 -0500

Graeme Caselton wrote:

> >From Daily Mail 'newspaper' London Monday 28th May:

> "Giant 'veg from space'"

> Monster vegetables are reportedly being grown from seeds
> which have been sent into space by China's fledgling space
> programme. The claim centre on extra-large marrows, PEPPERS
> and melons cultivated from seeds that have been in orbit.

Extra-large marrows (zucchini squash in the US) are no trick. Getting
rid of the produce from the prolific plants is the real trick. I have
grown zucchini (marrow) as large as the big end of a cricket bat or
larger with no special effort and no trip into the Van Allen Belt. The
squash are not especially tasty at that size.

> Now giant specimens have apparently been put on sale at
> markets in Beijing and Shanghai. A Chinese newspeper
> reports that a tomato from one farm weighed 28oz.

Big tomatoes are also no trick. If my beefsteak (tomato) vines do not
produce fruit weighing at least 1 kg (33.5 oz) I am disappointed. Unlike
the zucchini - the beefsteak tomatoes stay flavourful throughout their
size range.

> --- The story then goes on to waffle about 'what scientists
> say', and that NASA did the same years ago and they
> reported no strange effects.....

Must have been a very slow news day. And the editor must have been
completely off his trolley to let it escape down the wires. Or is the
"Daily  Mail" the Brit equivalent of our "National Enquirer"?

> On wonders what effects the 'radiation' has on the
> astronauts. Do they grow heavier and tastier?

Ask Mary Martian.....

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider