[CH] Re: how long to store?

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:30:57

>From: z <bob@clarke.org>

>Brings to mind a question: how long to store peppers
>and still have good heat and taste as well as health issues.

If they are dry and in an airtight container they will keep for years; they
just slowly become stale.  I have a small jar of dried red habs from my
first fields visit in 1998, and once in a while I open the lid just to take
a whiff of that rich hab aroma.

(I hear Jim saying Get a life!)

The sauces and salsas I've made also keep long, but they gradually turn from
red to brown and lose quality.

Roasted peppers keep well in the freezer, but if the container isn't really
good they gradually get that Everyfood aroma that freezers have.

- A