Re: [CH] A few things...

Matt Prerost (mprerost@mindspring.com)
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:12:11 -0500

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:35:17 EDT, Cathy wrote:

>Mike is probably right about the hab, but I've grown a cayenne, successfully,
>in a small pot (five inches dia.), while it may not have been fair to the
>cayenne, it did produce super chilies throughout the summer on my deck and
>that was after wintering indoors.

I agree with Cathy on this.  I'm not a big cayenne fan.  But have
grown them anyway every year I have had a garden.  In my first
gardening attempt I planted some in spot with bad soil and lighting.
And they still did well.  They probably grown anywhere.  All the
cayenne's I have grown never seemed to get that wide.  I find you can
space them closer than most peppers.  Where as, alot of other peppers
seem to get wider (bushy).  This year is the first time I have tried
to grow some Thai's.  All ready they seem to be getting pretty wide.
I got a feeling in the end of the summer they might just become shrubs
like some Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnets I grew last year.  Man those
things were huge.

With this in mind I would probably repot both the habanero and the
Thai in a buckets by them self.  I could be wrong on the size of the
Thai, but it probably wouldn't mind being alone.  If you want to repot
the cayenne go ahead but I think it will do fine where it is.

Matt