Re: [CH] culantro, not cilantro + NMex

Jesse [CH] Guadiana (CH1200@home.com)
Tue, 05 Jun 2001 23:49:37 -0500

Hi CilantroHeads and CHers,

Coriander...it's all relative.  "Culantro" is what a Peruvian friend
calls "regular" cilantro... but it may really be that wild variety Jim
writes about.  PuertoRicans like to use a long-leaf, most
un-parsley-like plant that smells/tastes a LOT like cilantro.  Was it
spiny?  I can't recall. And they call it cilantrillo or cilantro.

Confused? You won't be, after watching this week's e-mail episode of
Soap...tasting weeds... as Scott of KCK put it.

I try to avoid the leafy stuff. I prefer it in a sofrito, which said
PuertoRicans make by pureeing onion, green pepper, and the long-leaf
cilantrillo (but cilantro does OK here), and maybe other ingredients.
They add this puree to soups, beans, beef dishes, pork dishes, etc.

Item two: Some relatives are visiting next week from NMex. It's early in
the season for Numex chiles...Any recommendations on what to ask 'em to
bring along?

Hasta la lista,

Jesse G.
CH #1200

Jim DeLillo wrote:

> Culantro is a wild variety of Cilantro.
> I was shown it growing in the wild when I visited Belize.
> It has a much more powerful fragrance than Cilantro.
> Sorry, but I do not know how best to cook with it.
>
> << Jim >>
>
> Ed Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Hummm... What country are you in? My Merrian-Webster, Guru-Net and the
> > Epicurious dictionary all seem to be wrong.

> > Margaret Lauterbach wrote:
> > >
> > > I know some of the people on the chile-heads list use culantro (not
> > > cilantro).  The leaves are spiny.  Do you mince them, removing the spines,
> > > mince them not bothering about the spines, or use the leaves whole in
> > > cooked dishes, removing before serving as you would a bay leaf?  Thanks,
> > > Margaret L
>
> --
> Jim DeLillo
(SNIP)