Re: [CH] culantro, not cilantro

Bob Batson (rcb@kc.rr.com)
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:57:21 -0500

At 9:40 PM -0700 6/5/01, Margaret Lauterbach <melauter@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I know some of the people on the chile-heads list use culantro (not
>cilantro).  The leaves are spiny.  Do you mince them, removing the spines,
>mince them not bothering about the spines, or use the leaves whole in
>cooked dishes, removing before serving as you would a bay leaf?

According to the book _Cornucopia II: A Source Book of Edible Plants_
by Stephen Facciola (ISBN 0-9628087-2-5), Culantro is Eryngium
foetidum while Cilantro is Coriandrum sativum. While the plants are
in different genuses (genera??), they both belong to the same plant
family - Apiaceae. For recipes using Culantro, look for the following
books. Sorry, nothing on culinary directions.

Chantiles, Vilma Liacouras. _The New York Ethnic Food Market Guide &
         Cookbook_. 1984. Dodd, Mead & Co. New York.

DeWitt, Dave and Mary Jane Wilan. _Callaloo, Calypso, and Carnival:
         The Cuisines of Trinidad and Tobago. 1993. The Crossing
         Press. Freedom, California.

--

Bob Batson                            L 39 12 14 N 94 33 16 W
rcb@kc.rr.com                         Kansas City