[CH] RE: list costs

Holder, John (John_Holder@jdedwards.com)
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:37:49 -0600

On Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:44 PM albert [mailto:emmanuel@mwt.net] wrote:
> i just started a list , and i was a bit surprised at the cost, we
> often forget this, there is no free lunch.
>
> for every 1500 mails that get delivered it costs me around 10 bucks,
> now this is fine, hey! it's fun,....

Huh.   Most of the lists I belong to (this one is an exception) were
started by friends on personally owned UNIX machines that were already
on the net, so to all of the, the cost is zero since they ewre going
to pay to have that machine on the net anyway.

And then there are all the free list hosting places, provided you can
put up with them inserting ads. (Yahoo! Groups, for one)

Ironically, my church mailing list is on Yahoo! groups, and once in
awhile, the ads are very much not appropriate.

So, the real answer is, IT DEPENDS.  ;)

John