Re: [CH] off: photo op, please reply privately

Jim DeLillo (jimdel@bellatlantic.net)
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:08:06 -0400

Karen,

I have been published nationally and locally in both magazines and
newspapers.
Don't sell yourself short.

$150-$350 per day + costs is the norm.  But that can be very sensitive
to geography. I live in the NY/NJ metro area.  You will not get those
rates if you're in Podunk(no offense to the Podunchians).
One of the best ways to price yourself is to call a photographer from
the yellow pages in your area and ask for a quote. (yes, this is done
all the time)

A lot depends upon final usage.
Magazine, Corporate brochure, etc.
You can also charge per image used.  The local weekly pays $20 per
photo.  The local daily pays $50 per photo B/W or $75 per photo for
color.

You can either ask for 50% order/50% completion(C.O.D.) or 1/3s like you
suggest.  That should be based on the TOTAL job, including estimated
expenses.  I like 50/50 it puts more in my pocket.

Afterwords, Don't forget to sell many, many more prints and copies and
include stuff like frames or albums.  At this stage the the prints and
add-ons are sold at double the cost to you.  You can go easy on the
client by finding a wholesale source.  USe a professional photo lab, not
CVS.  The more professional you present the final product the more sales
you will get and the more future work.

Be sure to make some prints for yourself and start a portfolio.  You can
show that to prospective clients.

If you want more info contact me off-list or call (800) 263-3309

<< Jim >>

--
Jim DeLillo
President