[CH] Re: Heat vs. flavor

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:54:43

>From: Ted Wagner <trwagner1@yahoo.com>

>I'll have make an observation here.  I'm a CH new-comer.  Loved chiles
>for most of my life, but a recent new-comer to the CH internet group.

T, welcome and settle in!  This is a fun group; some of us may seem a bit
insane from time to time, because, well, we are.

>I was not satisfied with the texture of
>my sauce.  I like the smooth texture you find with my sauces.  I used
>both a food processor and a blender but didn't get a smooth blend...I
>had small bits and pieces.  How can you get the sauce so smooth?

My technique is to add one final step in the preparation:  get a large mesh
sieve (not a colander) and use the back of a ladle to push the mash through
- sort of in a circular motion - so the mash goes through, and the pulp
remains as a wad of paste in the seive.  This way you don't have to worry
about getting all the seeds out when you prep.  Depending on what exactly is
in the pulp, you may be able to use it for something else.  Recently, I
mixed it with vinegar and strained it again to make a flavored vinegar.  The
strained mash is the right texture to go through a hot sauce squirt-top
bottle.  So save those empty hot sauce bottles!

One other thing - if you want a vibrant color, don't mix colors of peppers.
If you want red, but you add some green peppers, you will get brown.  Notice
how some commercial sauces rely heavily on food coloring to get a consistent
color.  The green El Yucateco (are we green yet?) has blue and yellow
coloring in it - in contrast, for their Mayan version, they let it be a
muddy brown without coloring.

- A